Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Cosmos Connection

I want to preface this posting by stating that I am not a scientist and do not pretend to be one. I have no expertise in the makeup of the universe and no way to acquire such expertise. As a Gnostic I deal strictly in metaphor. My search for God is not dependent on acquiring all the available knowledge in existence, but it is dependent on my attempting to understand what our scientists know. I accept such knowledge as metaphor, because I have no way to verify it myself. I am dependent on the ideas of people who possess greater knowledge than I possess. Having said all of this, I believe that I have in mind some very powerful metaphors. One of these metaphors is that we are all connected. By we, I mean not only ourselves as human beings, but the entire universe. In Laszlo's book, which I cited in a previous posting, he goes into this connection in detail. Apparently, one atom can be affected by what happens to another atom, even if they are light years apart. Laszlo goes on to say that the same rule applies to our biological body, namely, the cells that make us up. This interconnection can be demonstrated by experiment. Do I understand the mechanics of all this? Of course not. However, a metaphor of this connection can be found in the words of Jesus when he says that the Father knows when the sparrow falls to the ground. If you find yourself asking the question "what happens to us when we die?" it might suit your purpose to change the question slightly. Perhaps you should ask, "what does the universe know about me?" If the universe knows you are alive, it will know that you have died. More to the point, if you are that much attached to the universe, it is a short step to the idea that the attachment is permanent and not temporary. If as I pointed out earlier, God is an idea that has no beginning and no ending, the idea that makes you up may well be part of God. I believe that this is so. This is why I have said that the soul is part of God and equally has no beginning and no ending. If Laszlo is right, you can say the same of the universe itself. Do I know all of this? No. Do I believe all of this? Yes. Why do I believe this? If the atoms are connected to one another, why are we, who are made of atoms as well, not equally so?

No comments:

Post a Comment