Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Gnostic Looks at Atheism

I have previously said many times that God is unknowable. I have also said that all religions are metaphor, whether they take themselves literally or not. It is as easy to say that God does not exist as it is to say the He does. An incomprehensible and unknowable God could just as easy be no God at all. There are many mediums who say that rather than dying, we go to another dimension and continue the journey through life. They say that our life is not dependent on the religion that we profess. Are they right? Everybody dies, so everybody will go through whatever door awaits us in the hereafter (or the notafter as the atheists will have it.) Take whatever position you desire, the universe will have its way. I am only certain of one thing. Any one who professes to know does not know. The gnostic searches for God in metaphor. The ultimate metaphor is light. In the Secret Gospel of John, God is referred to as "Light." So long as light shines on me, whether I can see it or not, I believe that the light will guide me when I die. The mediums all state that it is a bright white light that greets us upon death. If it does indeed shine upon death, I believe that it shines on the atheist with the same brightness that it shines on the believer. To the gnostic, everyone stands the same before their Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment